Last nights community update was a success with all the mentioned updates being rolled out including the brand new look to go inside with the Spiceworks 5.0 release happening soon (more on the Release Candidate in a bit)
This new layout is also designed to provide
- Faster Loading – Using better styling and design the site should load better
- No widescreen support – Due to how we read on a screen the community will not stretch to the full width of your screen, there will be more room at the navigation has been moved to the top but as long stings of text are harder to read it will keep the original max width.
- Larger Search – Like the the application the search bar is HUGE this is designed to help you remember it’s there and find answers quicker.
- More features coming to the footer bar – We have already started to see more things added to the bar in 5.0 and we are expecting to see more added to the community, things like group updates or the facebook like links etc.
- Better mobile support – The community already works well on a mobile but the new design will enhance the mobile experience even more.
Spiceworks 5.0 RC
Last night we also saw the release of the 5.0 release candidate:
To all the SpiceHeads who have helped test 5.0 and give feedback – thank you! Because of it, the Release Candidate build of Spiceworks 5.0 is now ready for final testing. Remember to still install this in a test environment and retest any issues that you’ve found in previous builds.
The 5.0 RC build is available here.
This version contains over 200 bug fixes and no new features. Which all means the final version is on it’s way soon. It’s still suggested you don’t use this version in production as it may still contain a serious bug but its stable enough to be classed as RC what’s the worst that could happen?